When initially contacting people you’ve been referred to by a Network contact, there are mistakes you DO NOT WANT TO MAKE! So, in order to prevent those mistakes:
- Make sure you properly identify yourself, why you’re calling and who referred you to him/her.
- Before you just start into a conversation, make sure to ask if he or she has time to talk.
- Don’t just call someone. PLAN for the call. Make sure you have specific things you want to discuss.
- Before you call, make sure you’ve done your research on the networking contact’s background and their company.
- Make sure you can tell any contact what you are looking for – in the way of assistance from them (if it is just to discuss the industry OR if you’ve heard about a specific job).